Well, I just had a craaazy crazy flight... I ended up leaving Rochester a lot earlier (meaning I got to wait in Detroit longer... w00t). I met up with 10 other exchange students- one from Iowa, two from Florida, one from New Mexico, one from Colorado, 3 from New York... and who knows where the rest were from. I would just like to mention now that there were NO adults from Rotary flying with us... which is not the case if you are flying from Denmark (as my host father told me). Anyway, we were all set to leave Detroit when a stupid baggage carrier ran INTO the plane! So, we sat there for about an hour and a half waiting while they were "fixing" the plane with speed tape. Apparently, duct tape would have worked better, because we had to get onto another plane. While we were waiting to board again, I called mom so she could call Christel (my counselor here) so my family would know NOT to leave for the airport. Well, we had to wait a total of 2 and a half hours before we could leave for Amsterdam... and guess how long our layover in Amsterdam was! That's right, 2 and a half hours. Good fun. Luckily, there was this nice Danish lady (we never did ask her name...) that was on the same exact flights as us that helped us get where we needed to go. We ended up having to fly to Sttutgart (sp?) and then FINALLY to Copenhagen. We got to the baggage area, and then we realized... we had no idea what flight our baggage had come on. So, we had to look that up... and I only found one suitcase. So (while BOTH of my host families were waiting outside for me), I had to stay and file a report. They said it was in Amsterdam still, but I got it today (sooo lucky!). Anyway, so I filed the report, and went out to find my first host family had made this nice big banner for me. I felt so loved and soooo freaking tired! I almost slept the entire hour and a half it takes to get home, only I woke up when we stopped for gas. They showed me around the house a little bit, and then I went to bed. I was so tired.
Yeah, I kinda overslept. I slept probably 12-13 hours... which was very bad, because then the office that I was supposed to register at closed at 1. That's government for you, open at 10 and close at 1...
So, instead, my host sister Karen (pronounced more like Kahn w/ a little r) and her boyfriend Christian took me around the city a little bit. All of my underwear was in the lost suitcase, so I had to pick some up (thank goodness mom told me to pack a pair in my carry on!). We also stopped at this little... thing. It takes a picture of you, and then you can email it to someone... the only email address that I could think of was Carrie's... so let me know if you get it!
We had a very big supper that night... it was supposed to have been the supper for the night before, but I got in so late *glower*. We had ribs, sausage, pork (I think), salt potatoes, salad, terimisou for dessert, and (get ready to be shocked mom) I drank milk. Apparantly they don't do that, but I've had milk at every meal so far... soda just doesn't appeal to me.
I couldn't sleep very well last night, so I was able to get up nice and early to be sure we would be ready to go to the office to register. Karen kinda slept in, so I had to wake her up, but we got there and made it back safely, and in plenty of time for lunch. It's weird trying to find something to eat when everything is in a different language... you can't really tell what it is.
Well, I need to go now, I should probably write an email to mom... seeing as how I haven't talked to her since I was in Detroit...*sigh*... I'm such a bad daughter!
I'll write more later... just don't expect something every couple of days... I don't know how my family feels about being on the computer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Yay!! Your family sounds so nice! You will have an awesome time. Let me know about any travel plans or when it's cool to come for a visit.
Glad you made it there safely! And I think that on every major trip, there has to be some sort of transportation-related snafu.
hey sweetie... i'm so glad you're there safe. when your mom told us at church that she hadn't heard from you and didn't know where you were, i felt kidna panicky. but now i know for SURE that you're ok, so i feel better. :) i hope you're journalling for me! i'll get a letter to you as soon as i can, and i'll keep you updated about everything that's going on. vbs is going really good... we don't have many kids, though. well... i hope to hear from you soon... I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!
KT - so glad you made it ok...Ed wants me to remind you about the Harley D shirt!!!!!!
Stay safe - we miss you!
hunny, I am so glad you got there ok. we all miss you here and can't wait to hear more... gotta go time ot send away the kids from VBS. Love ya and take care.
I need someone to either leave me a comment with everyone's blogs, or email it to me... because I don't know what they are, and I apparently can't click on the names to get there...
Post a Comment