Sunday, April 27, 2008

Spring Shimmy!!!

Tomorrow Teszia (the only belly dance troupe on campus) is having its annual spring shimmy! There are about a dozen or so dances, and approximately 18 girls. I'm in three dances: intro (veil/drum solo), Alexandria (northern African dances- Moroccan, Tunisian, etc), and Tribal. Tribal is easily the most controversial form of dancing in the belly dance world... it originated in San Fransisco, and is known to be the sort of goth/punk/rock/techno/emo belly dance. It's a lot of pop and lock and slinky moves. It's way hard, but waaayyy fun to do. I'm also in charge of the shimmy competition, where I get three members of the audience to come up and shimmy. Don't quite know how it's going to work out, but I'm going to get the info on how they did it last year. Should be fun!
So now I'm just working on my costume for tribal... it's the only one that I actually have to make. The other two dances just use parts of other costumes, which is really nice. I've spent a lot of money on this costume because there are so many different pieces! I'm wearing a bra with beads, shells, and coins decorating it (took me about 5 hours to hand sew everything on). I'm wearing yoga pants, but because they're cropped, I have to make a little skirt for my legs so that it goes all the way to the floor. Next I put on two different hip scarves- one silver, one black with silver glitter. Next comes the yarn belt, which has blue/black and red yarn. I still need to make a couple tassels for the belt... And then last I put on my 'tribal belt', which is embroidered and has mirrors on it. I still need to sew some pendants on it as well. guuuhh.... so much work. And I still need to do the following: make the leg skirts, make the black hip scarf, make tassels and sew on pendants. And then I need to figure out how I'm doing my hair... because I only have about 3 minutes to change into everything. Oh yeah, it's hectic!

I guess I really should start doing something... I figure if I get the hip scarf done tonight, then I can do the leg skirts in the morning, and the pendants and tassels get done if they get done. If not, no biggie. I just really want to go to sleep...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun!

Cassie said...

so are there any pictures of you in this gorgeous get-up, or videos of you guys dancing? i'd love to see them... <3

Katie said...

there are a bunch of pictures on facebook, and I'll try to put a couple up on here too. I'll be getting a dvd of the whole show in June, so I can show people when I go home!